Do you love dogs? Do you know the healthy foods that are best for them? Every responsible dog owner probably know that dog who eat too much people foods can make them ill or overweight.
However, there are some human foods out there that can be safely added to your dog’s meals, some are much healthier than others. Also, it can’t be denied that there are foods that are toxic to our dogs. A typical example is Blackberries that dogs should both eat and avoid them. But the only way to avoid that is to be knowledgeable enough to know the best food that benefits your dogs.
Check out these top 4 healthy foods for your dogs!
Green tripe is the first on my list. This type of food is stacked with digestive enzymes and probiotics. I have realized that I have been spending so much money on those supplements when those natural substances are just found on the green tripe.
- Green tripe contains vitamin B and has the ideal ratio of calcium to phosphorus- 1:1.
- Also, it also has the essential fatty acids such as Linoleic and Linolenic. If ever you will be having trouble finding green tripe from your raw supplier, there are a lot of canned products available.
- Tripe may be disgusting, but it contains plenty of nutrients that our dogs always needs.
Milk Thistle is an important part of any dog’s diet. And just to let every dog lover know, it’s a kind of herb and not food. The active ingredient of milk thistle is a flavonoid compound called silymarin. It has been proven that this little powerhouse is safe and effective in curing different kinds of liver diseases and other conditions.
I’ve also known that milk thistle protects our dogs liver against toxins and helps the growth of new liver cells to replace the areas that are damaged or dead.
If ever your dog is exposed to any toxins such as vaccines, de-wormers, drugs, lawn chemicals and other toxins, milk thistle is an excellent herb to have on hand. This type of herb consists of high antioxidant and anti-inflammatory actions. You can either purchase it in capsule, powder or liquid extract form. You just simply need to follow the label for instructions.
- Raw eggs are considered one of nature’s most healthy foods for dogs. I find eggs not just economical, but they are also known as a rich source of nutrition out there.
- Aside from that, eggs also a complete source of amino acids, and rich in vitamin A, riboflavin, folate, vitamin B12, selenium, iron and fatty acids.
- I would also recommend you to feed your dogs eggs with the shell on, since it would balance the phosphorus and calcium perfectly.
- Eggs are also easy to find since you can buy them anywhere. Having a lot of eggs on hand would be a great thing to do, and if possible, you need to find eggs that are raised without hormones or antibiotics like those pasture raised chickens.
Last but the least on my list is coconut oil. This food is considered as a “super-food” due to its load of healthy acids from lauric to capric, caprylic to myristic, and palmitic.
- Coconut benefits usually come from the medium-chain triglycerides or MCTs. For instance, acids such as lauric acid consist of antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties that help our dogs a lot once consumed. While capric and caprylic acid has the same properties and is very useful since they have anti-fungal effects.
- MCTs are also known to be a rich source of fuel and energy, increasing the one’s athletic performance and as well aiding weight loss.
- On the other hand, coconut oil MCTs also helps dogs in a couple of ways. It helps overweight dogs lose weight. It balances the thyroid, and most importantly helps lazy dogs feel energetic.
A certified nutritionist and naturopathic doctor, Dr. Bruce Fife, said that coconut oil could raise the metabolism and can provide a higher level of energy and vitality. It can protect both humans and dogs from sickness and increases the process of healing.
Additionally, from what I’ve observed, the oil has improved my dog’s skin and coat, improves my dog’s digestions and prevents my dogs from having allergic reactions.
With this list of healthy foods, you can save money and at the same time, keep your four-legged friend always healthy and away from illnesses.