Dogs make good companions but it is important that you select the right type of dog, that is one that suits your lifestyle.
How to choose a dog breed for your family?
Before you start choosing a particular one because you find it really cute, consider the following points:
- The size of the dog will depend on whether you live in a flat or a house. If you intend to buy a Great Dane or a boxer, you will need a house with a big garden for your dog to move about in or it may not be able to get enough exercise.
- Decide how big a dog you can handle, then choose the breed.
- Looking after a dog comes with a lot of responsibilities. Make sure you can cover your dog’s eating requirements on your budget.
- You will need to take some time off to take care of your dog. Cleanliness is very important for your dog’s well-being.
- Even a dog can get bored if it has nothing to do so you should take your dog out for walks and not have it cooped up in the house all the time, especially if you live in a flat.
- Consider whether the dog needs grooming. Some dogs, for example, poodles need professional grooming on a regular basis.
- Decide if you want a watchdog or merely a companion. Toy dogs like chihuahuas are more fun dogs than anything else. Don’t expect them to nab a thief for you.
- Pick a breed that is easy to train if obedience is important to you.